Everybody needs a mattress, and they are responsible for giving you the best night’s sleep. Sleep is so important, and it is technically the backbone for everything else in your life. If you’re getting bad sleep, or not enough, you will be groggy and unproductive. Having a good mattress is necessary, and it will help you get good sleep. It is difficult to know how long a mattress is supposed to last, and when you should change it for the best results. In this article, we will tell you how regularly you should invest in a new mattress, and the different kinds of mattresses.
Types of mattresses
Innerspring mattresses are a traditional mattress style, and they are known for having great edge support and being springy. Nowadays, these mattresses are not the most desired, due to the hard springs (not always), and the noise. They are incredibly supportive, though. They are great for providing a steel coil support system, and they won’t let you roll off the bed. Anybody with sciatica or any type of pain may need a mattress topper for comfort, or a softer mattress.
Memory foam mattresses
Memory foam mattresses are made up of different layers of foam and soft materials. They hold your body in place and will emulate a cradling feeling when sleeping. Memory foam mattresses are perfect for those who are light sleepers, or those with joint pain. They are quiet mattresses. Memory foam mattresses hold their shape, so you will need to flip the mattress every couple of months, otherwise there will be a human-shaped dent in the middle! Additionally, memory foam mattresses hold heat a lot more than other mattresses, so if you’re a hot sleeper, you may need a cooling mattress topper.
Latex mattresses are made from pure and natural latex. They are extremely long-lasting, and they do not sag or dip. Latex mattresses provide pure comfort, and they do not move either. They can be soft, or firm, and they have layers of latex to build up maximum comfort.
Hybrid mattresses are some of the most popular mattresses around, as they merge a spring mattress with a memory foam mattress. A hybrid mattress usually has a spring under layer, with a 3-4 inch layer of memory foam on top. This means that you can have the comfort of a memory foam mattress, with the support of the springs. Plus, there are no springs poking into your back!
Air mattresses are some of the easiest mattresses to find, and they are simply filled with, air. They are often used for temporary purposes, rather than permanent solutions. The benefits of having an air mattress are that they are lightweight, cheap, and easy to pack away. It is not recommended to sleep on an air mattress for a long period of time, as they are not very supportive, especially for people with joint or bone problems or heavy sleepers.
Gel mattresses are made from gel-infused memory foam. They are technically hybrid mattresses, combining gel mattresses with memory foam. They are made from a viscous and elastic material that is used in foam mattresses, so they are quite firm with the addition of the supportive gel. They are great for side sleepers and front sleepers.
How often should you buy a new mattress?
It is best to buy a new mattress every 7-10 years. A mattress will last you a pretty long time, but after this time, it will become worn out, and it may need to be replaced. You may be able to get away with having a mattress for longer than this time, depending on the type of mattress it is. For example, memory foam mattresses or spring mattresses will probably last less than a hybrid mattress or a gel foam mattress.
Signs you need to replace your current mattress
- If your mattress is older than eight or nine years, you will probably need a new mattress. Mattresses have a twenty-year warranty, but they are not supposed to last this long.
- If you wake up in pain, you probably require a new mattress. You should be waking up feeling refreshed and well rested. If you wake up feeling achy and tired, you may need to replace your old mattress.
- If your mattress is making noises and creaking, you probably require a new one. This will probably mean that the springs are broken, and need replacing.
- If there is a noticeable dip or sag in the mattress, it will probably need replacing. This will mean that the springs or material have compressed after usage for some time.
Things to look for when mattress shopping
When looking for a new mattress, you will need to consider a lot of factors to ensure you are getting the best deal for you.
- Body weight - if you are heavier, you may need to consider having a bigger mattress, or a mattress that is supportive and firm. This means it will not sink as easily.
- Sleeping position - if you are a side sleeper, you may need a different mattress to someone who sleeps on their stomach.
- Cohabiting - if you are cohabiting, you also need to consider the needs of your partner, and how they sleep. You will need a mattress that is good for both of you.
- Temperature - if you get really warm in the night, you will need to steer clear of innerspring mattresses or memory foam mattresses. These retain heat, so you will get hotter in the night.
Is having an old mattress bad for you?
In the long run, yes. Having an old mattress will probably give you body and joint pains, and you will not be well-rested. Additionally, having an old mattress is not great for hygiene purposes. An older mattress may be stained, and it may trap bacteria. Make sure you are replacing your mattress as often as you can, and make sure it stays clean. An old mattress does not pose a direct risk, but it will affect the overall happiness of your life. After all, sleep is life!
Do mattresses really wear out?
Yes, mattresses really do wear out. Think of a soft surface that you sleep on for long hours every day. After a few years, this surface will become worn out. You can take good care of your mattress, but ultimately you are sleeping on it every night, so it will probably wear out.
What type of mattress will last the longest?
Memory foam mattresses typically last awhile, as do hybrid mattresses. The longest lasting mattress is a latex mattress. Latex mattresses usually last 12-15 years!
You should buy a new mattress every 7-10 years. Any longer and you will feel the difference in your everyday life. Having a good mattress is essential for making us feel well rested. A good mattress also helps us sleep easier, overall improving our whole life. We hope we provided you with some good advice about when to replace your mattress, and which mattresses may be the best for you.