King-size beds are known for their luxury and comfort, giving you plenty of space to enjoy a pleasant night’s sleep.
Headboards are an important feature of any bed.
This is because it provides additional support and prevents the adjoining wall from becoming damaged.
Aside from this, people also choose headboards based on their aesthetic appeal.
Some people simply like the look of a headboard and believe that it will contribute to the desired look of their bedroom.
One way that you can assure that your headboard has the desired look is by making it yourself.
By doing so, you can personalize the headboard and decorate it in whatever style you prefer.
This nifty guide will explain how to make the perfect headboard for a king-size bed.
How To Make A Headboard For A King Size Bed
Though it may sound like a difficult DIY task, constructing a headboard can actually be quite simple.
All you need to do is follow these step-by-step instructions:
- Measure the width of your king-size bed using a measuring tape. Most of these beds are 60 inches/ 5 feet long. If you have a pre-existing headboard, you may want to measure this for a more accurate reading. Also, measure how high you want your headboard to be. Ensure that you keep these measurements for later.
- Think about what shape you want the headboard to be. While some prefer rectangular headboards, others prefer ones that are ovals. You can be as creative as you want, so spend some time thinking about the look of your headboard.
- Obtain wood for the headboard. Make sure that the piece of wood that you get is big enough for you to make the headboard. You can use most varieties of wood, though plywood is a brilliant and budget-friendly option.
- Pick a fabric to cover the headboard. There are lots of great options for you, such as polyester, faux leather, velvet, or cotton. Ensure that you get the fabric in whatever color or pattern you desire. As with different wood options, different fabrics will cost different prices. You should bear in mind that a king-size headboard will require a lot of fabric.
- Using a saw, cut the wood into the shape of your choice. Remember to use the measurements to determine the size of the headboard. You might want to don safety equipment when using a saw.
- Then, cut some foam into the same shape as the wood. It should be the exact same dimensions. Carving knives are great for cutting foam, so we recommend getting your hands on one.
- Next, cut batting, a material used in cushions for extra padding, in the template of the headboard. However, it should be slightly larger than the headboard so that the excess can be stapled behind it.
- Hold the overlapping batting behind the headboard. Using a stapler, attach the batting to the wood. Be liberal with the staples, as they will keep the batting and foam in place.
- Ensure that your fabric is smooth. You might want to iron it (if it is iron safe) or use a steamer on it. Once you have removed any wrinkles, place the fabric on top of the wood.
- Then, cut the fabric with scissors so that it is a similar shape to the headboard. However, as with the batting, you should aim to make it slightly larger so that you can put the excess material behind the wooden structure.
- Lay the fabric on a flat surface, such as a table or the floor. Place the headboard on top of the fabric. Bring any overhanging fabric behind the headboard.
- With a stapler, pin the fabric to the wood. Again, be sure to use multiple staples on each side of the headboard to keep the fabric in place.
- If you wish, add any decorations to the headboard. For example, you may want to pin buttons to it.
- Once you are happy with the headboard, place it on the wall and move your king-size bed in place.
If you wish to make a headboard for your king-size bed, you will need a few items.
Most of them can be ordered online. Additionally, you may be able to get some equipment from craft stores or fabric shops.
You should bear in mind that some of these objects can be fairly expensive, such as high-quality woods.
Luckily, you can save money by choosing less costly options, such as faux leather instead of real leather or plywood instead of oak.
For our method, you will need:
- A king size bed
- A measuring tape
- Wood, such as plywood
- Fabric, such as faux leather or cotton, of your choice
- A saw
- Upholstery foam
- Carving knife
- A stapler and staples
- An iron or steamer
- Fabric scissors
- Decorations (optional)
Frequently Asked Questions
Can Headboards Be Made For Any Size Bed?
Yes, headboards are not just for king-size beds. You can make them for beds of any size.
You just have to make sure that you measure your bed so that the headboard fits it.
What Is The Best Color For A Headboard?
You can choose whatever color or pattern you want. Ideally, the color of the headboard should match your bedroom.
If you want a subtle look, you should go for some subdued colors, such as gray, vanilla, or beige.
On the other hand, if you want the headboard to grab the attention of other people, then you should opt for more vibrant colors.
For example, purple makes a great headboard color if you want it to be noticed.
Ultimately, by using this straightforward method, you can have a handsome headboard for your king-size bed.
If you like DIY and crafts, we thoroughly recommend giving this activity a try.
The advantage of making a headboard yourself is that you have more control over its look.
Thus, you can customize it so that it fits perfectly into your bedroom.
Your headboard will look so brilliant that you’ll want to tuck into bed immediately!