How To Make A Bedroom Canopy
Everyone wants their bedroom to be their magical place, and adding a canopy is the perfect way to do that!
There are so many styles to pick from, and you can add anything you want, too.
From fairy lights to some awesome LEDs, there are countless things you can incorporate to make the perfect spot.
If you want to add a bedroom canopy to your safe haven, stick with us!
Whether the canopy will go in your master bedroom to create a romantic touch, or anywhere else, we've got you!
Here, we're going to go through how you do exactly that. It's so much easier than you think.
Creating A Bedroom Canopy
A bedroom canopy is a great idea if you want to decorate your sleeping quarters and create a cozy space.
You've seen amazing ones in places like magazines or Pinterest, now you want one!
They're quite popular for good reason: they really do make any room feel special. Let's take a look at what you need to get started.
- 1.5 m × 2 m Sheet of Fabric of Choice. You can use any color you like, as long as it fits in with the rest of the environment! The type of fabric doesn't matter too much – just make sure that it isn't too heavy, and that it isn't noisy like many are. Ready-made curtains are a good option, too!
- Painter's Tape
- Decorative Fabric (optional)
- Fairy Lights (optional)
- Decorations (optional)
- To start off, decide on your color scheme. Once you have the fabric for the canopy, cut out the shape of your canopy. We found the best way to do it was to use painter's tape on your sheet. This will keep it from ripping.
- Next, turn the sheet inside-out and lay down the decorative fabric. Make sure to choose the right size as well because if it isn't big enough, then when you cut it out, you won't have enough material to cover the entire area.
- Cut out the rest of the design. Afterward, peel away the painter's tape.
- Now it's time to hang your new masterpiece. Using painter's tape again, measure where you want the bottom edge to go. Take this measurement along the top edge as well. Now, connect the two sides using more tape. You might want to use a ceiling hook to get that stunning look.
- Lastly, go ahead and position the canopy somewhere in your bedroom. Don't worry about getting the angles perfectly straight here because once you put all the fairy lights up, you'll see it looks just fine. The only thing you need to consider is whether you want the light to shine directly onto your bed. If that's the case, then you'll need to move your canopy slightly further back. Otherwise, leave it alone.
- Now, all that's left to do is string up those fairy lights. And you're done! It took us about an hour to figure out and set everything up. Plus, you can change your design whenever you'd like!
You can also create a stunning canopy design by using mandala tapestries. Mandalas are beautiful and can light up any space.
They can be made at home, or you can get some amazing quality ones in online stores!
There are so many colors and designs to choose from, you could just spend all day staring at them!
Some designs are more minimalist and subdued, while others are bright, with eye-catching designs.
Depending on where the canopy is going, you can pick some perfect ones for kids, or even parents.
No matter which mandala tapestry you get, make sure it is the perfect fit for wherever it's going.
How To Decorate Your Room With Fairy Lights
So, you know that fairy lights aren't just for kids anymore. Everyone loves fairy lights, especially adults who want something pretty for their home.
They offer some magic and warmth to any area, and can light up the room.
It doesn't matter if you want small ones that are barely noticeable, or bright ones that you can spot a mile away!
- Start by picking the fairy lights you would like to use. Remember that fairy lights come in all kinds of different sizes, and some even have different settings. The color is important, as is the design itself. Some fairy lights come in the shapes of flowers, butterflies, and anything else you can imagine! Most fairy lights require batteries, but some can get plugged into the wall, too.
- Select the area where you would like to hang the fairy lights. You can drape them over the canopy you just made to light it up, or you can hang them on walls. If you are adding them to the canopies, try to make a beautiful outline of fairy lights, and leave some to drape over the edges!
- Now that you know where you want your fairy lights, all you need to do is hang them up! If you want to hang fairy lights against the wall, you could consider using Command Hooks. Using these will not cause any damage to the wall, but they need to be prepared before being used.
A Few Things To Consider
Before you go all out and transform the bedroom with a canopy, you may want to think a little first!
There's nothing worse than diving into the deep end only to find out that you have no idea what you're doing or what you're looking for.
It's always best to have an image in your head of what you want to make, so you have a goal to work towards!
Below are a couple of things to consider before you start with your project:
- Who are you doing it for? — you could be doing this for yourself or a loved one. If you're creating the canopy and doing all this decorating for a child, you need to keep in mind their age! If they're young, you want the project to look fun and lively (unless they specifically don't want that).
- Their age – this is similar to the above point, but it takes it one step farther. If you are doing this project for a child, you will want to make sure that they won't outgrow it all in a year or so. Give them something that they can also grow into and love, even in a couple of years. If you don't, you might have to do another project again sooner than you'd hope!
- What are their interests? — bear in mind that everyone has a different set of interests. If the person you're doing this project for likes certain things, cater to them!
- Do you know their favorite color? — colors are so important when it comes to projects like this. You can find fabrics of all different colors online and in stores. Even mandala tapestries can come in any colors, and even have several colors and designs on them. The colors don't have to take over the whole scene, but it's always great to add pops of color where you can.
- What about animals? — does the person you're making this for like animals? The real question is – do they like animals enough for them to feature in the project?
Canopies make wonderful additions to bedrooms, living rooms, dining rooms, offices, playrooms, and pretty much anywhere else you want to brighten up!
Canopies are great accessories to make a cozy bedroom. No matter the type of canopy, whether it's a beautiful flower canopy, or a rustic canopy, it's a great addition.
Hopefully this post has been helpful in some way, and it's given you something to think about for your best project!
If it's been helpful, feel free to leave a comment, and any suggestions, too! Happy DIYing!