Have you finally treated yourself to a nice memory foam mattress and can’t wait for your first super comfortable night’s sleep? You’re probably itching to get home and put it to the test but, unfortunately as you may have already discovered, manufacturers say you need to allow 24-48 hours for the mattress to fully expand before sleeping on it.
But, what if you don’t have a spare mattress, and you need to sleep on it straight away? You don’t want to spend the next two nights sleeping on the couch! Luckily, there are ways you can speed up the expansion process without damaging your shiny new mattress and so you can get to snoozing comfortably straight away.
Keep reading to find out how to speed up the expansion process, so you can start getting your money’s worth.
What is a foam mattress?
A memory foam mattress is considered a luxury mattress due to its ultra-soft, complex makeup that is designed to morph to support your body, hence the name.
They can range from soft to firm to suit your preference and can be affordable to a luxury purchase.
The mattress is typically made up of multiple layers of foam with other materials such as latex to create the super soft, cloud-like feeling when you lie down on them.
Can I sleep on my foam mattress straight away?
Your memory foam mattress will arrive rolled up in a box. As you may have read in the instructions, you need to give the mattress time to fully expand before sleeping on it which can be super disappointing.
If you do plan to break this rule, you need to take the mattress out of the box as soon as you bring it home.
While most manufacturers say to wait 24 to 48 hours for it to fully expand, we’re here to let you in to a little secret: most memory foam mattresses expand up to 90% after around 6 hours so, if you unroll it in the morning, by bedtime you will probably be able to sleep on it without damaging it.
The reason manufacturers recommend waiting so long before sleeping on it is because unrolling the mattress sets off a process referred to as the ‘off-gassing’ period which can give off toxic fumes that can be harmful to humans. So, the faster it expands, the faster the off-gassing period completes.
So, we’ve compiled a list of clever way to speed up the expansion process, so you can enjoy your luxury new mattress from the first night.
- Jump up and down on it - get the whole family involved in jumping up and down on the mattress to speed up the expansion process. It also makes it off-gassing process go faster. Make sure you cover all ground. To prevent the inhalation of the off-gassing fumes, ventilate the room properly and don’t spend more than 10 minutes in the room jumping up and down at a time. It’s a super easy way to do it and a lot of fun!
- Leave it out in the sun - if you are fortunate enough to have reliably dry weather, leaving your memory foam mattress out in the sun can speed up the expansion process. This is because these mattresses are sensitive to temperature changes. The heat can also speed up the off-gassing and the fresh air will help to remove any chemical odors. Being outside also eliminates the risk of inhaling any toxic fumes. Just make sure you lay something down to rest the mattress on to keep it clean and bug-free.
- Leave it out in a ventilated room - if you don’t have the luxury of all-day sun, you can leave the mattress out to expand in a well-ventilated area. Keep all the windows are doors open to allow the off-gassing toxins to escape and not cause you or your family to inhale them. If you aren’t able to be in a different room to the mattress while it off-gases it would be a good idea to invest in an air purifier if you don’t have one. This will help to remove any toxic fumes and replace them with purified air to keep you from inhaling any nasty toxins. It will also help to speed up the off-gassing process
Why get a memory foam mattress?
If you’re not sure if a memory foam mattress is for you, here’s why we think they are the ultimate luxury mattress.
- They fit your unique body shape - these mattresses are able to mold to your body and change in reaction to factors such as pressure and heat. This helps to distribute your bodyweight evenly for an amazing night’s sleep
- Temperature control - a good night’s sleep can be ruined if your body temperature is all off. With a memory foam mattress, this will no longer be an issue. They are manufactures using temperature-sensitive material enabling it to adjust to your body heat as well as your weight. If you become hotter, the mattress becomes softer to keep you comfy. You can even buy a memory foam mattress with special cooling technology
- Superb comfort and pain-relief support - many people go for a memory foam mattress if they suffer with back pain from sleeping in an awkward position. Due to the mattress's ability to alleviate pressure and spread it around your body evenly. Plus, pain points on the body will technically have a higher temperature, the memory foam mattress will help to keep you cool and comfortable
- Hypoallergenic material - memory foam mattresses are made from materials that prevent dust from collecting within the bed and their dense composition helps to stop allergens from accumulating in the material
- Stops your partner rolling onto your side of the bed - a great reason for couples to invest in a memory foam mattress. The foam is motion-resistant to reduce movement and prevent anyone else in the bed with you from rolling around in their sleep and taking up your space